Thursday, September 17, 2009

Second Life Scavager Hunt

For my English 103 class we had to complete a scavenger hunt with two other classmates. My part of the scavenger hunt was to go to all the landmarks that involved shopping these included Milky 9, The Garden Center, Sarah Nerds Freebie Paradise, and NMC orientation.

The first place that I went to was the Milky 9. When you visit here you can get free clothing and accessories. I went here when I first created my avatar and changed its clothing and hairstyle to personalize it. Thus, my first impression of Milky 9 was a very positive one because they provided everything an avatar needed to get started in Second Life. Because everything is free you can "buy" as many clothes as you want and you learn how to but them on without ending up with a box on your head.

This is a picture of me in Second Life at Milky 9:
Milky 9

The second place I visited was the Garden Center. At the Garden Center you can buy anything from potted plants to a sky box. I really liked the Garden Center because all of the flowers in it, but I was surprised how expensive everything was, like 99 dollars for a potted plant. But if you had a house or store in Second Life these things would be very useful. I really enjoyed the time that I spent and the Garden Store because everything was so interesting to look at, like all of the waterfalls. Here I learned that you could really spend a lot of money on things like plants in Second Life.

Here is me at the Garden Center:
The Garden Center

The third place that I visited was Sarah Nerds Freebie Paradise. Here you can get free clothing and hairstyles like at Milky 9. What surprised me here was that the store was under construction. I previously thought that nothing could be under construction in Second Life. Here I learned how to "buy", everything here is also free, and put on things that I buy. Also, like Milky 9, Sarah Nerds Freebie Paradise is a very good place to start when you first enter Second Life.

Here I am walking into a building at Sarah Nerds Freebie Paradise:
Sarah Nerds Freebies 2

The fourth and final place that I visited was NMC orientation. Here an avatar can get orientated with basic Second Life functions, like talking and flying. This is a very good place to start when you begin Second Life or if you ever have any questions about basic functions of Second Life. At first this place looked pretty basic but as I walked around I realised that this place could be very informative and helpful.

I am standing in the center of the NMC orientation:
NMC Orientation
All of these places involve shopping and getting started in Second Life, thus it is very important that people just starting out in Second Life go to these places. Also, all four of these places are great places to practice things like talking and flying. Also, these places are excellent places to get started in Second Life because they do not look like the real world, thus providing a stepping stone to new avatars into Second Life. Because new avatar see that this is a virtual world before they realise how really Second Life actually looks, After the scavenger hunt, I realised how many things you can learn by going to places that involve shopping.

2 comments:

  1. Better paragraphing here, and the photos need little introduction because they are well placed near the areas they discuss.

    This is a fun observation, "but I was surprised how expensive everything was, like 99 dollars for a potted plant." When you think of that as about 33 US cents, it gets easier, but at the same time, to a new avatar with an allowance of 50 Linden Dollars from the teacher, it's a fortune!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jordan!
    It's funny how you did the shopping sites because I know you love to shop. Anyway, it sounds like it was fun and next time I'm in need of a new outfit I'll ask you. Oh and your avatars outfit is really cute!

    ReplyDelete