Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Will a Typical Writing Process Cut it in College?

I just finished reading the Transition to College Writing by Keith Hjortshoj and found it very interesting. It talked about the writing process of most students transitioning from high school to college. And how students shorten that process to fit their needs or time schedule; the typical writing process of a high school student going into college is:

1. Think about your subject matter, you can or cannot use an outline
2. Write your paper
3. Edit the paper
4. Turn your paper in (Hjortshoj 67)

In my experience this is the way that most high school students write, my classmates would come into school the day the paper was due and ask “what time did you finish your paper last night” or be printing their paper in the study hall right before our class. It is the fastest way to write and can be accomplished at the last minute if you procrastinate. Even I have completed a paper this way before, and I can tell you what I get on my papers when I use this writing process, a "C" at best. Thus, to be successful in college writing you must expand that writing process to include drafts. This can be hard because it takes up time, but in order to get the best paper and grade it must be done. A thing that I find very useful is if I am writing a paper is I will complete my first draft and turn off my computer and go do something else that has nothing to do with my paper for at least an hour. Then I will come back to it and start editing. I find that this lets me see my errors clearly and rework the awkward sentences or paragraphs. If you incorporate something like that into your writing process it will help you write a better paper. For me it is the first step in developing my writing process that will start with thinking about possible topics for my paper on the day I get the assignment, not the day before its due. Also, I am going to add more drafts and editing into my writing process so I can get the best grade possible. Then, hopefully, my writing process will enable me to write better and more effectively and get good grades on all my papers.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your post, and I know that you'll see quickly how different things get in college.

    For the blog posts, consider the paragraph. I'm doing it here, by breaking my ideas up and putting each into its own paragraph.

    To do that for this blog post, consider "where am I moving to a new idea?" and make a break for it! You may have to reorganize points or rewrite a few sentences, but it will make your readers happier.

    ReplyDelete